How Locks Work
The Soulanges Canal was officially opened to navigation on October 9, 1899. Its five locks raised or lowered boats a height of 24 metres between Lake Saint-Louis and Lake Saint Francis. Each lock is 85.3 metres long, 13.7 metres wide and 4.3 metres deep. After the St. Lawrence Seaway was opened in 1959, commercial shipping was rerouted to canals and locks on the South Shore and the Soulanges Canal was closed to navigation. In 1985, it became property of Transports Québec.